UNIDROIT welcomes different categories of guests who carry out independent research in the Library and/or are associated with the Secretariat’s activities. The various formulas, presented below, are:
· Independent visiting researchers
· Research Scholarship Programme
· Applications for Scholarship Programme 2018-2019
· Cooperation with National Universities or Research Centres
INDEPENDENT VISITING RESEARCHERS
Government officials and members of the legal profession – academics and practitioners as well as law students – from all over the world are welcome to use the UNIDROIT Library, subject to the Librarian's approval of their application. Applicants may use such approval to support their requests to potential sponsors (which may be the institution to which they belong, private or public donors, sponsoring institutions that promote legal research and legal reform, etc.) to finance their stay in Rome. Projects relating to UNIDROIT’s past legislative activities, as well as subjects on the current UNIDROIT Work Programme, are given special attention in this regard. A good working knowledge of English and/or French is indispensable.
RESEARCH SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME
Since its beginning in 1993, the Research Scholarship Programme has hosted over 300 researchers from some 60 countries. It is addressed to post-graduate law students, academics, government officials etc., with special attention given to applicants from developing and emerging countries. Between 15 and 20 scholarships are awarded each year for an average period of two months.
The Programme is exclusively funded by extra-budgetary contributions. UNIDROIT therefore appeals to potential sponsors to support the Research Scholarships Programme. For further information see Information for donors.
A scholarship (average duration: two months, minimum duration: six weeks, depending also on the special terms and conditions attached to each scholarship) may cover all or part of the cost of living in Rome for the designated period, but beneficiaries are in principle expected to cover their own travel expenses and their medical insurance for the duration of their scholarship.
Scholarships are awarded to applicants with outstanding qualifications according to the following criteria, subject to any specific requirements on the part of donors:
- the subject of the candidate’s research project, which must be related to uniform law / international private law (see details of the holdings of the UNIDROIT Library indicated in the Library's on-line catalogue). Priority is given to the topics that correspond with the Organisation’s Work Programme;
- the project’s potential for practical application in the beneficiary’s country of origin. Priority is given to projects relating to the drafting of national laws or those aiming at promoting the study, implementation or adoption of uniform law instruments;
- the candidate must be a post-graduate, academic, civil servant, judge, practitioner or other, with outstanding academic credentials.
- a good working knowledge of English and/or French is a prerequisite (please attach a certificate of proficiency (i.e. TOEFL / DELF level)).
UNIDROIT Research Scholarship Programme: Regulations
At the end of their stay, scholars are required to submit a report on the research they have carried out at UNIDROIT. Contributions of a sufficiently high scientific level may be submitted for possible publication in the Uniform Law Review / Revue de droit uniforme, subject to acceptance by its Editorial Board.
Candidates who are not granted a scholarship may nevertheless be accepted for a period of independent research at their own expense (see above).
Applications for scholarships tenable as of January 2019 are to be submitted by duly filling in the form in pdf or in Word together with the two requested letters of recommendation and the language certificates by e-mail or by post by 31 October 2018 to:
To the attention of Ms Laura Tikanvaara,
Via Panisperna 28,
00184 Rome, Italy
COOPERATION WITH NATIONAL UNIVERSITIES OR RESEARCH CENTRES
The Secretariat is open to co-operation with national universities or research centres, as well as other international organisations with a view to organising cooperation in accordance with the objectives of each of the institutions involved. Possible cooperation formulae include the granting of a UNIDROIT research period as a bonus in the framework of doctoral studies or competitions among young professors, such a period to be funded in full by the associated institution or a third party of its choice, or jointly with UNIDROIT.
Cooperation agreements have been implemented with:
- The Universidad argentina de la Empresa (UADE) (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- Universidad de los Andes (Santiago, Chile)
- Universidad de Talca (Chile)
- University of International Business and Economics, (Beijing, PR China)
- Zhongnan University of Economics and Law (ZUEL) (Wuhan, PR China)
- The Universidad Externado de Colombia – Faculty of Law (Bogota, Colombia)
- Cairo University Faculty of Law (Cairo, Egypt)
- The Egyptian Council of State, (Cairo, Egypt)
- Islamic Azad University – Science and Research Branch (Tehran, Iran)
- Nagoya University - Graduate School of Law (Nagoya, Japan)
- Transnational Business Law University (TLBU) Graduate School of Law
(Seoul, Republic of Korea)
- Babes Bolyai University - Faculty of Law (Cluj-Napoca, Romania)
- University of Johannesburg - Faculty of Law (Johannesburg, South Africa)
Another option is to organise a research period at UNIDROIT followed by a research period at another institution, subject to that institution's conditions for admission. This type of cooperation has been successfully implemented since 2002 with the Swiss Institute of Comparative Law (SICL).
Each year, UNIDROIT welcomes a select number of interns to participate in the work of the Secretariat. Internship activities relate to subjects on the Institute's current Work Programme, and/or to UNIDROIT instruments that have already been adopted, in particular as regards their implementation and promotion. Interns will generally be expected to conduct research on specific aspects of the chosen/assigned subject and/or to prepare concept notes, draft documents and reports of meetings, prepare translations, and generally assist the professional staff of the Secretariat.
Preference is given to candidates engaged in postgraduate legal studies (5 years +). Candidates must have an excellent knowledge of both spoken and written English. Knowledge of French and/or any other language is also considered an asset.
Candidates in their undergraduate legal studies are welcome to apply for an internship in the library, assisting the Head Librarian with documentation and catalogue related tasks.
UNIDROIT internships are not remunerated. The length of an internship is three consecutive months, which may be doubled to a maximum of six months (excluding the month of August). Internships may be granted for shorter periods on a case by case basis.
When applying for an internship, candidates are invited to indicate any preference for their topic of cooperation with the Secretariat, by specifying their preferred project(s) on UNIDROIT’s Work Programme. If applicable, they may also indicate a research project that they intend to pursue on an independent basis in the UNIDROIT library. Candidates are welcome to submit an academic reference letter and/or a statement from a sponsoring institution (university, research centre, governmental entity …) to support their application.
All interns are required to provide for adequate medical insurance coverage during their stay in Rome.
UNIDROIT welcomes public officials and lawyers from UNIDROIT member States to join its staff temporarily on Secondment: judges, public administration officials and professionals from public entities are invited to participate in the work of the Secretariat of UNIDROIT. Their full remuneration, health and pension schemes should continue to be fully covered by their employer during their Secondment at UNIDROIT.
The specific conditions of the secondment and the duties of the seconded person are agreed with the relevant public entity.